WRKO AM transmitter off air yesterday evening

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Boston WRKO AM transmitter off air yesterday evening

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Time Traveler 6 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

radiodude76
    Participant

Anyone know what happened?  Around 5:30 ish no signal at least north of Boston.  May have went down earlier than that.  Was out til at least 6pm.  Howie was on the air and noted about listeners having trouble listening on the Boston affiliate.

OldNewsGuy
    Participant

When there was no signal, I listened online for awhile.

Howie commented:

“We’re off the air in Boston”

“They are driving to the transmitter now”

“I don’t know if we will be back on by 7…but if we are, they will re-run the 5PM hour at 7PM.”

–all seemed kinda small time for iHeart.  No back-up transmitter?  Someone has to drive from Medford to the TX site?

Time Traveler
    Participant

Did anybody DX 68O during that period????

nowradioguy
    Participant

When there was no signal, I listened online for awhile. Howie commented: “We’re off the air in Boston” “They are driving to the transmitter now” “I don’t know if we will be back on by 7…but if we are, they will re-run the 5PM hour at 7PM.” –all seemed kinda small time for iHeart. No back-up transmitter? Someone has to drive from Medford to the TX site?

‘RKO probably moth-balled or deep-sixed that old Continental 50-KW tube transmitter, which was one of the first of those models sold by its maker. Unfortunate, but no surprise, since iHeart is pushing its app for listening, though more so over at WBZ than over on ‘RKO. iHeart does claim in its ads that 92+% of Americans listen to AM/FM radio. If latter is true, then, yeah, they need to have backup facilities, especially for their bigger stations.

OldNewsGuy
    Participant

‘RKO probably moth-balled or deep-sixed that old Continental 50-KW tube transmitter, which was one of the first of those models sold by its maker.

Anyone know when that old continental 50KW tube transmitter was first installed?

I remember there was a time in the mid 70’s when WRKO as a music station got a new transmitter and the install was finicky and would pop off the air every now and then.

I believe it was Gr Media that not only had back-up transmitters at the main site…but backup sites as well. I was impressed.

Did anybody DX 68O during that period????

I am amazed at how well CFTR comes in when WRKO is off the air.

I would think in Boston Proper, AM 680 would be clean and quiet when WRKO is off the air, given it’s prominence and history (being on the air since the late 30’s.)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  OldNewsGuy.

Tom McNally
    Participant

–all seemed kinda small time for iHeart. No back-up transmitter? Someone has to drive from Medford to the TX site?

There is a lot more that can break than “the transmitter” … if it went down at pattern change time, most likely a contactor in the phasor hung up, keeping any and all transmitters, new or old, off the air until someone got it into position,  broomsticks are sometimes needed.   You can’t have a backup for everything.   Something can always break.

Tom McNally
    Participant

‘RKO probably moth-balled or deep-sixed that old Continental 50-KW tube transmitter, which was one of the first of those models sold by its maker. Anyone know when that old continental 50KW tube transmitter was first installed?

April 4, 1966

radiodude76
    Participant

“iHeart does claim in its ads that 92+% of Americans listen to AM/FM radio. If latter is true, then, yeah, they need to have backup facilities, especially for their bigger stations”

yeah, what struct me was how long they were off and what appeared to be no back up in place.  Any chance the original Entercom back up transmitter contingencies (assuming there was one) weren’t included in the iHeart deal?

OldNewsGuy
    Participant

‘RKO probably moth-balled or deep-sixed that old Continental 50-KW tube transmitter, which was one of the first of those models sold by its maker. Anyone know when that old continental 50KW tube transmitter was first installed?

April 4, 1966

Wasn’t there a new transmitter installed about 1975-ish?

Channel99
    Participant

Most failures external to the transmitter can probably be fixed or hacked as needed to get the signal back on the air, possibly not at full power.  But if the only transmitter goes down – the words no one wants to hear are the manufacturer saying they are out of a specialized part, but are having some made in China….

steves
    Participant

Ah, BillyK… wherefore art thou?  He’d have had that thing back on with spit and baling wire!  Whatta guy.

Been a long time since AM’s had an on-site transmitter tech for 40 hours a week.  Just sayin’

Nathan Obral
    Participant

All of iHeart’s transmitter towers were sold off to a third party several years ago. As to whether or not they own the towers of WRKO or WBZ, I wouldn’t know, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t.

The failure for RKO to have a backup would undoubtedly be tied to that. It’s all about their proprietary app. A backup transmission site for an AM station is not in their wheelhouse now.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Time Traveler
    Participant

‘RKO probably moth-balled or deep-sixed that old Continental 50-KW tube transmitter, which was one of the first of those models sold by its maker. Anyone know when that old continental 50KW tube transmitter was first installed? I remember there was a time in the mid 70’s when WRKO as a music station got a new transmitter and the install was finicky and would pop off the air every now and then. I believe it was Gr Media that not only had back-up transmitters at the main site…but backup sites as well. I was impressed. Did anybody DX 68O during that period????

I am amazed at how well CFTR comes in when WRKO is off the air. I would think in Boston Proper, AM 680 would be clean and quiet when WRKO is off the air, given it’s prominence and history (being on the air since the late 30’s.)

Back around 1972/1973…When I used when I lived on the North Shore…I used to frequently hear another Top 40 station under WRKO which turned out to be CFTR…
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php