WSAX-LP 98.5 on the air.

RI Community Forums Midwest Columbus WSAX-LP 98.5 on the air.

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of knowbetter knowbetter 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of xmusicmatt
    xmusicmatt
    Participant

WSAX-LP 98.5 is on the air in NE Columbus, OH. Going to be an uphill road for them with WINF-LP on the same channel and already reaching parts of Columbus fairly well.

Profile photo of Alex Browne
    Alex Browne
    Participant

I have been listening to WSAX-LP via TuneIn for several months now.  I no longer live in Columbus and can’t receive the signal over the air.  I have several questions about it.

I am assuming it’s on the air, although Radio-Locator says it is “currently off the air” and “operating under a construction permit.”  Is it actually broadcasting, as opposed to just streaming online and/or on TuneIn?

WSAX’s website says “we’re on the air testing at 98.5.”  If they’re “testing” how long is that supposed to go on.  And is what I am hearing on TuneIn the format I am going to hear when it is “officially” on the air?  Right now it sounds like an automated format, and (at least in the dayparts I’ve listed to) much more a “smooth jazz” format than a real jazz format.

xmusicmatt
    Participant

Yes WSAX-LP is on air at 98.5 every time I have listened over the air it’s automated Jazz.

Profile photo of Tom McNally
    Tom McNally
    Participant

The website has 5 different streams listed …

“Our Broadcast Stream”

Smooth Jazz

Classic Jazz

Blues

Classic R&B

Profile photo of knowbetter
    knowbetter
    Participant

WSAX-LP 98.5 is on the air in NE Columbus, OH. Going to be an uphill road for them with WINF-LP on the same channel and already reaching parts of Columbus fairly well.

can you hear him now??
    knowbetter
    Participant

can you hear him now??..

I think there has been a lot of tech stuff in the background, to try and separate the two signals…

time will tell…

Profile photo of schmave
    schmave
    Participant

Old topic but wanted to add some reception reports.
    I live in Reynoldsburg where WSAX’s signal is pretty good, and in fact I even had it all the way to Lancaster one morning in January when I had a dental appointment.
    Today, I drove up Reynoldsburg-New Albany Road to New Albany and WSAX was pretty good to about Broad Street. By the time I hit Morse Road, it was all WINF (same experience for me when I drive north on 270). Heck, by the time I got to Jefferson Country Club, maybe four miles from WSAX’s tower, the two signals were pummeling each other.

xmusicmatt
    Participant

Old topic but wanted to add some reception reports. I live in Reynoldsburg where WSAX’s signal is pretty good, and in fact I even had it all the way to Lancaster one morning in January when I had a dental appointment. Today, I drove up Reynoldsburg-New Albany Road to New Albany and WSAX was pretty good to about Broad Street. By the time I hit Morse Road, it was all WINF (same experience for me when I drive north on 270). Heck, by the time I got to Jefferson Country Club, maybe four miles from WSAX’s tower, the two signals were pummeling each other.

I don’t know how I missed this one but appears 98.5 WSAX-LP moved their tower site to off E Broad St/270 in East Columbus around January so they are further away from the LP in Delaware.

knowbetter
    Participant

“Old topic but wanted to add some reception reports. I live in Reynoldsburg where WSAX’s signal is pretty good, and in fact I even had it all the way to Lancaster one morning in January when I had a dental appointment. Today, I drove up Reynoldsburg-New Albany Road to New Albany and WSAX was pretty good to about Broad Street. By the time I hit Morse Road, it was all WINF (same experience for me when I drive north on 270). Heck, by the time I got to Jefferson Country Club, maybe four miles from WSAX’s tower, the two signals were pummeling each other.” <snip> I don’t know how I missed this one but appears 98.5 WSAX-LP moved their tower site to off E Broad St/270 in East Columbus around January so they are further away from the LP in Delaware.”

this is going to be interesting, at best, both sides of this “argument” are about as stubborn as Mt. McKinley, anyone who’s really interested should just take a quick look at some topo maps…

Profile photo of schmave
    schmave
    Participant

Yes, their tower appears to be just northeast of the 270/Broad intersection, across the road from Mount Carmel. WSAX is clearly quite directional, and in doing so generally will not be heard in places like Westerville, New Albany, Easton and even parts of Gahanna. I’ve checked the 98.5 battle a few times heading north on 270 and once you get past about the Johnstown Road interchange, WSAX falls off in a big hurry.
    Curious to see what becomes of all this.

knowbetter
    Participant

Yes, their tower appears to be just northeast of the 270/Broad intersection, across the road from Mount Carmel. WSAX is clearly quite directional, and in doing so generally will not be heard in places like Westerville, New Albany, Easton and even parts of Gahanna. I’ve checked the 98.5 battle a few times heading north on 270 and once you get past about the Johnstown Road interchange, WSAX falls off in a big hurry.
    Curious to see what becomes of all this.

I don’t know either, I don’t believe the directional pattern is necessarily intentional…I think it’s more likely trying to figure out if the two stations can exist together. The Delaware signal seems to be “somewhat exceptional”, for an LPFM, it seems to stretch from North of Marion to London, New Albany, and fairly strong into the city of Columbus. There seem to be areas where it actually pushes the WSAX signal out of areas by John Glenn, which obviously should not happen…

I suspect a lot of measurements in someones future…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar