WSTC/WNLK Signing Off on Monday 1/25.

RI Community Forums Northeast Connecticut WSTC/WNLK Signing Off on Monday 1/25.

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 25 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Barry Barry 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

The 2 AM stations, broadcasting from Stamford and Norwalk, have been part of a small network simulcasting the programming of WSHU AM. WSTC and WNLK were purchased in 2013 from Cox radio with the intention of providing some local news to southwestern CT. But according to the announcement posted online, the combined audience of the two stations was only about 900. There are several public radio signals that can be received in the area, including other stations broadcasting WSHU, as well as WNPR and WNYC. So it does appear to make sense to shut down the 2 small AM’s.
    WSTC 1400 AM, and WNLK 1350 AM will be up for sale.

Announcement from WSHU: http://wshu.org/wstc-wnlk-programming

Profile photo of joseph_gallant
    Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

With those stations up for sale, who would buy them??

Sacred Heart University may be lucky to get more than $250,000 combined for those stations.

Profile photo of limegrass69
    limegrass69
    Participant

In no particular order…

–religious broadcaster operating as a satellite station (similar to WCCC, WKLV-FM, etc.)
    –ethnic/brokered
    –go dark, sell/salvage/scrap the equipment and take the write-off

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

What could at least slightly enhance the value of the 2 stations is the possibility they could be used in conjunction with an FM translator. This is especially true for WSTC 1400 in Stamford. As mentioned in a separate post, a translator in Stamford CT has recently been sold. The individual that bought it has applied to the FCC for a change in frequency and permission to raise its power from 3 to 10 watts. Though that is a minuscule amount, it should be adequate to provide solid coverage of at least the Stamford area, and possibly some of the surrounding affluent communities. The application indicated that the translator would be used to retransmit WSTC.
    I could imagine the stations then making a modest profit by offering similar programming to other small ones in the area-A local morning show, syndicated programming at other times, as well as some local sports, infomercials and music filler.

limegrass69
    Participant

A 3 (or 10) watt translator in Stamford/Greenwich looks a lot better on paper than it actually is. Given the congested FM band and the challenging topography, it won’t likely cover any community all that well. These stations are dogs. Hats off to SHU for giving it a go, but they should really go dark.

Profile photo of Marc B
    Marc B
    Participant

Someone on the other board wondered if John Fuller would buy WSTC/WNLK to expand the KOOL Radio Classic Hits network.

Marc Bramhall

Profile photo of joseph_gallant
    Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

Actually, Marc B has a great idea!

Additionally, I believe WSTC’s signal probably carries across Long Island Sound (salt water) and would likely be good across the northern half of Nassau County and the western portions of Suffolk County near the Sound.

If John Fuller’s reading this message, buy those stations! Expand your little network into a high-income area!

Profile photo of Towerclimber31
    Towerclimber31
    Participant

Having worked at both of those stations “back in the day” it pains me to say they have both pretty much been un-listened to for 10 years. They have been off the public grid for so long, they have been totally forgotten about in Fairfield. No one is coming back to AM.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

As I indicated in an earlier post, the new owner of a translator in Stamford has filed for permission to retransmit WSTC AM on FM. If that application is approved and someone buys WSTC, it could be promoted as a local FM station. A nearby example is B107.3 in the Danbury area, which is actually an FM translator rebroadcasting WAXB, 850 AM.

B 107.3 (the AM signal feeding the translator is not even mentioned): http://www.b1073fm.com/

Profile photo of charles57
    Charles Everett
    Participant

Someone on the other board wondered if John Fuller would buy WSTC/WNLK to expand the KOOL Radio Classic Hits network.

Fuller would be throwing money into Long Island Sound should he try to do such a thing.

If John Fuller’s reading this message, buy those stations! Expand your little network into a high-income area!

AM radio is in its death throes and Sacred Heart University is correct to acknowledge it. Anyone who won’t accept that fact is living in a fantasy world.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

Continuous pop music is now being broadcast on WSTC and WNLK.
    Perhaps a buyer has already been found, and is operating the stations under an LMA agreement?

Profile photo of Steve West
    Steve West
    Participant

Having been one of the last people in the building, I can tell you that both WSTC and WNLK had substantially more than the 900 listeners stated by SHU. What does one expect to happen to an AM station when it’s local programming is severed? Public radio doesn’t have that large an audience base to start with and they simulcasted WSHU-FM on two low powered AMs. Rest my case.

I was one of the final jocks on the FM side, 96.7 WCTZ, prior to it’s sale to EMF and it’s transformation to becoming another outlet for “K-Love”. When you added in the “Italian House Party” and the two AMs’ local news programming, those stations served the Norwalk/Stamford community quite well and they DID have a good audience. Phones rang off the hook during their local programming periods.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the comment that both stations have lost their audience and it will not return. Once an AM loses its visibility, nobody goes back to the AM band even to sample anything new on a station they once listened to. There is no point Both stations are worth exactly what the property value and scrap of the equipment is, no more. They should be allowed to go and stay silent, and sell off everything. What a shame.

Profile photo of charles57
    Charles Everett
    Participant

Here we go again. Network Programming = Bad. “Live and Local” = Good.

WSTC/WNLK had “substantially more than” 900 listeners? Show us proof. Otherwise you’re lying. And they NEVER simulcast WSHU-FM! The AMs were Fairfield County Public Radio. The FM is NPR News/Classical.

limegrass69
    Participant

Probably more like — on the air for a prospective buyer to see what the signal is like.

Profile photo of mikeraub
    mikeraub
    Participant

Charles, I can personally that right up to the day I punched the switch and turned off WSC/WNLK, those stations did indeed have more than 900 listeners. Naturally, I can’t say what has transpired since.

I CAN say that Fairfield County greatly needs a local broadcast outlet – be it terrestrial, online or a marriage of both.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar