WTAM cuts 2 news people

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

A radio buddy of mine called yesterday to say veteran news people Kathy Davis & Tom Moore have been let go by WTAM.

Assume it’s part of a mandated staff/budget cut? Anybody have more details?

Participant

iHeart budget cuts. Nuff said. Longtime Saturday anchor Judy Thompson was also cut in addition to Tom and Kathy.

An absolute shame, Tom is a pro’s pro. And one less reason to listen to WTAM.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

Other than WCPN & WKSU (depending on the programs) & a little CJ on WNWV…..I rarely listen to ANY radio stations (AM, FM, not even streaming stations). And, 95% of that is when I’m in the car.

At home when Tribe games are on, I mute the TV sound & turn up one of the Indians Radio Network stations for Tom & Rosey. I guess that counts as radio listening.

I can get most full service features anytime 24/7 on my phone or computer. Music sources are everywhere on demand. As a person who worked in radio many decades, I almost feel like a traitor, but: the simple truth is, I just don’t need most radio stations today. Why wait when what I want is on demand?

Man, things have changed.

Participant

iHeart budget cuts. Nuff said. Longtime Saturday anchor Judy Thompson was also cut in addition to Tom and Kathy. An absolute shame, Tom is a pro’s pro. And one less reason to listen to WTAM.

One of the Facebook groups also mentioned that John Cooper was let go too.

Participant

iHeart budget cuts. Nuff said. Longtime Saturday anchor Judy Thompson was also cut in addition to Tom and Kathy. An absolute shame, Tom is a pro’s pro. And one less reason to listen to WTAM.

Well, as we in Boston are now accustomed to saying, especially when cuts and seemingly half-baked changes happen at our WBZ (“an iHeart Radio station!”): “iHeart happens.” That is rarely, if ever, uttered in a positive way. So, we can sympathize with you.

Participant

A radio buddy of mine called yesterday to say veteran news people Kathy Davis & Tom Moore have been let go by WTAM. Assume it’s part of a mandated staff/budget cut? Anybody have more details?

This is highly upsetting. I mean, it’s not even a holiday or anything and they’re cutting people? They’re really gonna screw things up if they get out of that twice-yearly holiday season bloodletting. People won’t know when to expect to be on the chopping block.

Participant

Well, as we in Boston are now accustomed to saying, especially when cuts and seemingly half-baked changes happen at our WBZ (“an iHeart Radio station!”): “iHeart happens.” That is rarely, if ever, uttered in a positive way. So, we can sympathize with you.

WBZ got bought out by iHeart in an inertia move. There was no other buyer for them when CBS Radio had to put it on the block. All these stations for sale and the only buyer with a positive cash flow and willingness to buy in any major sale situation is EMF.

Of note, BZ is still a union shop because of a previous contract under CBS. Otherwise iHeart would be happening at a much quicker rate. Cleveland hasn’t had any radio union shops in 30 years, if that, and iHeart has been RIFfing here since 2001.

To be blunt, it was more a miracle Tom lasted at WTAM for close to 24 years.

Participant

Other than WCPN & WKSU (depending on the programs) & a little CJ on WNWV…..I rarely listen to ANY radio stations (AM, FM, not even streaming stations). And, 95% of that is when I’m in the car.

At home when Tribe games are on, I mute the TV sound & turn up one of the Indians Radio Network stations for Tom & Rosey. I guess that counts as radio listening.

I can get most full service features anytime 24/7 on my phone or computer. Music sources are everywhere on demand. As a person who worked in radio many decades, I almost feel like a traitor, but: the simple truth is, I just don’t need most radio stations today. Why wait when what I want is on demand?

Man, things have changed.

Tom had done some work for the Cleveland Catholic Diocese in between time at WERE/1300 and WWWE, so he has NPO experience. And former radio news people like Ed (Richards) Byers and Jim McIntyre have become media spokespeople, the latter for the Red Cross.

One thing Tom noted on Facebook is that the well for radio news jobs has been drying up, moreso as he and his wife do not want to move out of market.

Participant

My first jobs in radio decades ago was as a parttime newsperson while in college. I never wanted to be a DJ, but, as what has happened to many of us, I was at a radio station doing news, the DJ’s shift ended, he left, and assumed the next DJ was just waiting until the last minute to walk in the studio door.

He didn’t. He didn’t show up. So, I became the disc jockey….somebody had to. Nobody else was in the building except the engineer (remember when all stations had engineers 24/7?). That day was my last day ever in news….as my PD made me a DJ. Crazy story, but real.

Participant

WBZ got bought out by iHeart in an inertia move. There was no other buyer for them when CBS Radio had to put it on the block. All these stations for sale and the only buyer with a positive cash flow and willingness to buy in any major sale situation is EMF. Of note, BZ is still a union shop because of a previous contract under CBS. Otherwise iHeart would be happening at a much quicker rate. Cleveland hasn’t had any radio union shops in 30 years, if that, and iHeart has been RIFfing here since 2001. To be blunt, it was more a miracle Tom lasted at WTAM for close to 24 years.

But doesn’t EMF prefer to buy FM stations only?

Participant

Participant

After a little over a decade on the air in a medium and 2 large markets (at 2 well-known top 40’s), I got into sales in 1980. All of my on-air co-workers & other station buddies thought I’d lost my mind.

But, I was able to stay employed and not have to leave my home here in Ohio for a job. My sales career lasted 32 years (the last 29 in radio ad sales). Yeah, I MUCH preferred on air and programming than any kind of sales, but even in my worse years in sales I earned 50% more than I ever did on air. In the great years, 300% more.

Now, with the explosion in popularity of the internet by consumers and advertisers, even radio advertising sales is a very tough career….and not a very bright future (much, much harder work, for about half the income of 10+ years ago).

It’s truly sad to see the industry I loved since I was a little kid fade as a highly profitable business. But, as David Bowie once sang…”cha, cha, cha changes” abound. It’s a very different world, folks.

Participant

This isn’t directly related, but Mr. Kiesewetter’s story this week about the retirement of WLW’s Jeff Henderson gets into his recently expanded role in overseeing news at other iHeart clusters–including Cleveland (and, therefore, possibly including WTAM specifically)…

Jeff Henderson’s retirement from WLW-AM news has nothing to do with iHeartMedia’s decision in April to name him regional news director over dozens of stations in six states, all without news directors.

“This was planned over a year ago,” says Henderson, 63.

[…]

Now Henderson oversees news coverage and staffs at dozens of stations in six states which no longer have news directors, including Columbus, Cleveland, Detroit, Dayton, Louisville, Indianapolis and Wheeling. Because iHeartMedia only has FMs in Dayton, Henderson’s WLW staff was responsible for covering the recent Montgomery County tornadoes.

The full piece is at https://www.wvxu.org/post/jeff-henderson-retiring-wlw-am-news.  If Cincinnati-based news coverage is indeed airing on WTAM, then it looks like it also applies to, say, WTVN and WHAS.

Participant

Cutting air staffs this deep is like a fine sit down restaurant removing half the food items off a steak dinner but charging the diners the same, figuring patrons wouldn’t notice the difference.

Participant

Now, with the explosion in popularity of the internet by consumers and advertisers, even radio advertising sales is a very tough career….and not a very bright future (much, much harder work, for about half the income of 10+ years ago).

Most stations are streaming now, and I assume online listenership is growing even though the number of people listening to traditional AM-FM radio in the US is declining … and there are still ads on the online stream … wouldn’t that even things out somewhat and help keep the actual radio station side afloat. I have noticed though, some ads that are streamed are different than the one playing on the radio … but an ad is an ad and a listener is a listener exposed to those ads, no matter if radio or streaming. Is there not enough online listeners to make up for over the air loss? I know many have their private mp3 collections, or use Spotify, etc., but would think with the likes of Alexa and Google smart speakers gaining in popularity, more people are discovering their use to listen to traditional streamed radio stations. I think they’re great for that purpose. Moreso when they come out with car friendly devices which I hear they’re working on.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  dannykewl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php