WTAM on 106.9

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland WTAM on 106.9

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Jeremy 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

MediaFan85
    Participant

The new FM translator is already on-the-air in Cleveland.  Now the Indians at night and on weekends is on three frequencies – 1100, 100.7, and 106.9.

Also, WGAR is being heard on 101.7 in Cleveland.  Another translator for iHeart?

michael p

Thanks for the heads-up.  Been listening to 106.9 since Saturday.  Other than a “battle” with WRQK along Sprague Rd (top of the hill) it comes in fine all over the west side and beyond.  Was able to listen to the Indians game on SR-2 all the way to OH-615 in Mentor!  That’s way beyond the coverage map which is pointed NW from Parma (transmitter is on the tower behind Padua formerly known as the “candelabra” according to the map on the FCC site).

Nathan Obral
    Participant

I just noticed WTAM’s translator is not using the reverb chain long heard on 1100. Interestingly enough, WAKS/96.5 is using the same exact reverb chain Majic proudly had long ago…

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

michael p

I just noticed WTAM’s translator is not using the reverb chain long heard on 1100. Interestingly enough, WAKS/96.5 is using the same exact reverb chain Majic proudly had long ago… Quote

That “reverb chain” is actually an audio “watermark” for the “people meter”.  It hurts my ears!
    https://www.telosalliance.com/Radio-Solutions/Watermarking-Monitoring-Enhancement
    I once did an experiment while driving down I-71 during Rush Limbaugh’s show.  I listened to WTAM until I got to where WTVN’s signal was nearly as strong.  Then I switched to the Columbus station and heard the difference in the audio processing.  I can hear the watermarks, which is a series of alternating tones in the midrange that beats against the program audio.   It’s really annoying on sporting events where the crowd noise sounds like crud.
    I’m glad 106.9 is not using it!  WTAM has regained me as a listener.
    BTW: I was hoping for some comments on the range of the signal.  In my car I can listen far outside the contour.  I live on the null side so I hear WRQK interfering a bit, but the interference goes away as I go down the hill on Pleasant Valley to the west.  In my house my radio can’t even pick the signal up at all.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  michael p.

radioperson

I just noticed WTAM’s translator is not using the reverb chain long heard on 1100. Interestingly enough, WAKS/96.5 is using the same exact reverb chain Majic proudly had long ago… Quote

That “reverb chain” is actually an audio “watermark” for the “people meter”. It hurts my ears! https://www.telosalliance.com/Radio-Solutions/Watermarking-Monitoring-Enhancement
    I once did an experiment while driving down I-71 during Rush Limbaugh’s show. I listened to WTAM until I got to where WTVN’s signal was nearly as strong. Then I switched to the Columbus station and heard the difference in the audio processing. I can hear the watermarks, which is a series of alternating tones in the midrange that beats against the program audio. It’s really annoying on sporting events where the crowd noise sounds like crud.
    I’m glad 106.9 is not using it! WTAM has regained me as a listener.
    BTW: I was hoping for some comments on the range of the signal. In my car I can listen far outside the contour. I live on the null side so I hear WRQK interfering a bit, but the interference goes away as I go down the hill on Pleasant Valley to the west. In my house my radio can’t even pick the signal up at all.
    Great!  Now, instead of more diversity, I can hear WGAR and AIR1 on multiple frequencies as well as a 50,000 watt AM station gobbling up an FM frequency to simulcast.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

WTAM had been using the EMT-140 reverb since at least the early 1990s. They were definitely using it during the switch from WWWE back to WTAM.

If they were still using it for PPM reasons, it didn’t show in the ratings, that’s for sure. Lol.

Great! Now, instead of more diversity, I can hear WGAR and AIR1 on multiple frequencies as well as a 50,000 watt AM station gobbling up an FM frequency to simulcast.

106.1 has at least gone to using WGAR’s HD2 “iHeart Classic Country” feed. And unless you were a fan of Dan Stansbury, there’s not that much difference between WRQK and any other iHeart active rock station out there.

But having WTAM on 106.9 doesn’t make their tired, boring old conservatalk forever stuck in the past sound any better.

mightyvoice
    Participant

Waste of a signal at this point in my opinion.  Anyone who wants to hear the conservatalk being spewed most of the day out of WTAM will have no problem finding that on the AM dial.  Why not utilize 106.9 for something more progressive and aimed at a younger demo?  A demo that won’t be dead in the next 15 to 20 years.  It may very well be too late to save terrestrial radio in the long-run….but 106.9 seems like a great opportunity to at least experiment and try something different.  Something other than the cookie-cutter alternative rock over on alt-99.1 that is.

michael p

I-Heart is bankrupt yet they find the money to start new translators in areas where the primary station has a strong signal!?!

If you look up these translators (and the primary stations) on the FCC website for licensee you see: “CITICASTERS LICENSES, INC., AS DEBTOR IN POSSESSION” or “CAPSTAR TX, LLC, AS DEBTOR IN POSSESSION”.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

I-Heart is bankrupt yet they find the money to start new translators in areas where the primary station has a strong signal!?!

If you look up these translators (and the primary stations) on the FCC website for licensee you see: “CITICASTERS LICENSES, INC., AS DEBTOR IN POSSESSION” or “CAPSTAR TX, LLC, AS DEBTOR IN POSSESSION”.

A lot of those were acquired before they went into Chapter 11, plus they were deals that can be argued are beneficial for the station and the company proper (which is how Cumulus justified their purchase of WKQX-FM while they were in Chapter 11).

There’s plenty other reasons why iHeart is having issues with their reorganization plan, this isn’t necessarily one of them.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Waste of a signal at this point in my opinion. Anyone who wants to hear the conservatalk being spewed most of the day out of WTAM will have no problem finding that on the AM dial. Why not utilize 106.9 for something more progressive and aimed at a younger demo? A demo that won’t be dead in the next 15 to 20 years. It may very well be too late to save terrestrial radio in the long-run….but 106.9 seems like a great opportunity to at least experiment and try something different. Something other than the cookie-cutter alternative rock over on alt-99.1 that is.

In time, more and more AM stations with FM translators tethered to them will do just that, dumping unprofitable talk formats for sports or music. That’s already the case in very smaller markets, where the translator wags the dog on an small AM that’s either a daytimer or with imperceptible night power outside of the immediate COL.

Unless I’m mistaken, due to how the AM Revitalization AM Abandonment plan was set up, W295DE can’t be reassigned to relay a station other than WTAM. Same case with the translators for WHK, WHKW and WJMO (and WJMO is using “FM 94.5” in their branding, not “AM 1300”).

mightyvoice
    Participant

Appreciate the info Nathan, great insight!  Seems like the AM Revitalization plan is really short-sighted,  I’d rather see a movement to revitalize terrestrial radio as a whole…..maybe 10 or 15 years from now, when its REALLY too late, we’ll see an FM Revitalization plan come out, lol.

schmave

I-Heart is bankrupt yet they find the money to start new translators in areas where the primary station has a strong signal!?! If you look up these translators (and the primary stations) on the FCC website for licensee you see: “CITICASTERS LICENSES, INC., AS DEBTOR IN POSSESSION” or “CAPSTAR TX, LLC, AS DEBTOR IN POSSESSION”.

My thoughts exactly. An FM translator for a 50,000-watt, non-directional powerhouse is a waste.
    Aside from the blatant dislike spread at their format in this thread, not to mention some unnecessary insults to listeners, there just isn’t much use in a small FM station blanketing an area the AM already covers IMO. If we’re talking a directional AM like WKNR, it’s much a different story having the FM put a better signal into the nulls. But there’s nowhere close to Cleveland that WTAM’s signal needs help.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  schmave.

MediaFan85
    Participant

I heard Downtown Cleveland, or parts of it, has a hard time getting 1100, so 106.9 might help.  Plus, more people are listening less to AM, though 1100 still gets good ratings, but the FM will provide more real estate.

schmave

Maybe downtown between some buildings, but I would think it’s it for rough spots that close in. (As an aside, I think I remember reading that WTAM once was directional to avoid sending much signal north over the lake, and consequently beyond into Canada).

I do wish WTVN here in Columbus, which runs largely the same format as WTAM, had am FM signal, whether a translator or full power. It’s currently omnidirectional because one of the towers went down in a big storm back in April, but the normal pattern really degrades the signal east, west and south of Columbus at night. WLW and WTAM have translators but WTVN does not. Oh well.

Crazy Monkey
    Participant

What a joke… a flea-powered FM translator for a 50,000 watt unlimited AM blowtorch.  I remember Triv complaining that the younger generation apparently doesn’t know how to flip the radio to AM.

While we’re on the topic, can someone verify the 106.1 I’m hearing?  At first I thought it was a pirate, but it’s playing the iShartRadio country music station (NOT a rebroadcast of WGAR).  It’s decently strong down here in Akron, and I’m wondering if it’s the station coming out of Beachwood.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php