WTAM on WODC HD2

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland WTAM on WODC HD2

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Obral 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

michael p
    Participant

During Tribe games I caught WTAM’s legal ID which included “WODC HD2 Ashville”.  Had to look that station up, Ashville’s WODC is a Columbus rimshot on 93.3.

WODC HD2 is listed as being on the Indians Radio Network.  Is this station carrying WTAM full time or just during activation of  the Indians Radio Network?

schafe
    Participant

WODC HD2 is WTVN when the Tribe isn’t playing.

michael p
    Participant

I wonder why The Tribe does not have a regular affiliate in Columbus? HD Radio is not nearly as common as standard AM/FM.Why isn’t WTVN carrying the games on their regular AM frequency?  Are the Reds more popular in  Columbus than the Tribe? (I’m presuming the Reds are on a standard Columbus station).
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  michael p.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  michael p.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

WXZX flipped out of the sports format right in the middle of spring training. This year’s affiliate contract had to be burned off somehow. Enter 93.3 HD2 by simple inertia. Nobody listens to HD Radio subchannels, nobody cares, but it counts as a clearance.

WTVN just doesn’t want sports of any sort. Apparently running Lumpy on tape delay makes them more money, and the 55-dead demos are through the roof. They used to carry the Reds, then they got scooted to 1230, and got thrown off the Columbus radio dial for good once 1230 flipped to an FM translator format.

Fun fact: the Indians Radio Network has a satellite uplink (I think it’s the same one used for Ohio State and the Blue Jackets) and WTAM promos and idents don’t run on it.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

xmusicmatt
    Participant

This seems like a kludgy way of running The Tribe in Columbus.. You would think given iHeart has many automation PCs they could just set up a local (in Columbus) PC that airs WTVN on WODC HD-2 then switches to the Cleveland Indians Network when it’s time for the Tribe and run local to Columbus spots and sell it (and make a few bucks in Columbus airing The Tribe) [Instead of running a raw WTAM feed] then when the games are over run a command to flip back to the WTVN Simulcast.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Given that no one can come close to competing against 97.1, and that WTVN has given up on sports completely, this may be a permanent setup.

I would be shocked if there’s more than a dozen people actually listening to 93.3-HD2, but that’s more a failure of that hybrid standard than anything else.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php