WTVN tower crumples in storm

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Columbus WTVN tower crumples in storm

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  schmave 6 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

schmave
    Participant

Apparently one of the smaller towers in the WTVN directional array went down in the high winds yesterday afternoon. I wasn’t listening to 610 last night … did anyone notice if there was any impact on their night signal?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ87KbZX4AEHXrh.jpg

gabigley1
    Participant

Apparently one of the smaller towers in the WTVN directional array went down in the high winds yesterday afternoon. I wasn’t listening to 610 last night … did anyone notice if there was any impact on their night signal? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ87KbZX4AEHXrh.jpg

This may explain  the much weaker signal overnight..On my Super radio downtown, much more line noise could be head.. Any idea when this tower went down? I tuned into TVN from 6:00 PM to about 6:15 PM and the station was still on.

SO, I believe WTVN will operate under a STA with 1,250 watts ND at nighttime hours until the tower is fixed… THAT WILL MEAN MUCH LESS SIGNAL IN DOWNTOWN COLUMBUS AT NIGHT.

xmusicmatt
    Participant

WOW! I am not surprised since that would been in the general path of the same storms that impacted London, Grove City…

At least they were lucky and it didn’t take down the tower that WODC uses at that site! While less than ideal – WTVN can limp along on an STA from the other towers while they replace the missing piece of their array.

schmave
    Participant

Wow is right. That picture reminds me of the WWVA damage several years back, although on a much lesser scale.

1,250 non-directional watts at night will actually dramatically improve their signal into my area (Reynoldsburg) as well as places like Pickerington and Grove City. I live just off 256 between Livingston and 70 and when that night pattern hits, 610 is barely listenable in my condo.

I think they put 20K ERP over downtown and basically straight up 23 at night, so forget about hearing it all that far north of town. That would be very noticeable in places like Delaware and Marion (not to mention much farther north toward Findlay and Toledo).

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  schmave.

gabigley1
    Participant

Wow is right. That picture reminds me of the WWVA damage several years back, although on a much lesser scale. 1,250 non-directional watts at night will actually dramatically improve their signal into my area (Reynoldsburg) as well as places like Pickerington and Grove City. I live just off 256 between Livingston and 70 and when that night pattern hits, 610 is barely listenable in my condo. I think they put 20K ERP over downtown and basically straight up 23 at night, so forget about hearing it all that far north of town. That would be very noticeable in places like Delaware and Marion (not to mention much farther north toward Findlay and Toledo).

WTVN sent this STA application to the FCC today, April 6 and here is  what the application said:
    Exhibit 13 : Description: EMERGENCY ANT FOR ND AT NIGHTWE REQUEST SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORITY (‘STA’) TO OPERATE STATION WTVN(AM) WITH TEMPORARY FACILITIES.DURING A STORM 3-APRIL-2018 TOWER NO.: 1, ASR NO.: 1033688, OF THE NIGHT MODE DIRECTIONAL ARRAY COLLAPSED AND THE NIGHT FACILITY CANNOT BE OPERATED.

WE ARE REQUESTING TO OPERATE AN EMERGENCY ANTENNA CONSISTENT WITH 73.1680 CONSISTING OF A NONDIRECTIONAL VERTICAL ELEMENT OF THE DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA SYSTEM WITH POWER REDUCED TO 25% OR LESS OF THE NOMINAL LICENSED POWER, OR, A HIGHER POWER NOT EXCEEDING LICENSED POWER WHILE INSURING THAT THE RADIATED FILED STRENGTH DOES NOT EXCEED THAT AUTHORIZED IN ANY GIVEN AZIMUTH FOR THE CORRESPONDING HOURS OF DIRECTIONAL OPERATION. EMERGENCY OPERATION WILL BE FROM TOWER NO.: 5, ASR NO.: 1033684. THIS TOWER IS THE NORMAL DAYTIME NON-DIRECTIONAL FACILITY TOWER FOR THE STATION.

THE INTERESTS OF THE PUBLIC WILL BE SERVED BY WTVN CONTINUING TO PROVIDE SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY AS WE WORK TO RESTORE THE NIGHT DIRECTIONAL FACILITY.

schmave
    Participant

Thanks! I take it that they are running ND right now?

I’m in Hilliard now and 610 sounds great, better than I remember when I am usually out here at night. I’ll be driving back across town to Reynoldsburg soon so I’ll monitor the signal as I hit the usual points where I “cross the pattern” and provide an update later.

schmave
    Participant

It indeed is running non-directional, apparently at full power. If 610 is at only 1,250 watts, it’s a pretty good 1,250.

allfirdup
    Participant

1,250 non-directional watts at night will actually dramatically improve their signal into my area (Reynoldsburg) as well as places like Pickerington and Grove City. I live just off 256 between Livingston and 70 and when that night pattern hits, 610 is barely listenable in my condo. I think they put 20K ERP over downtown and basically straight up 23 at night, so forget about hearing it all that far north of town. That would be very noticeable in places like Delaware and Marion (not to mention much farther north toward Findlay and Toledo).

Hi Schmave, im in Reynoldsburg too, with WTVN at 610am sending out 1250 at night in every direction they would cover Columbus really well. they may even make it as far north as Marion because there are not that many other stations in that direction that share the 610 frequency. also WTVN under normal directional Pattern only has 5K at night with the Directional (blocking) towers to the South and SE to stop night time interference to stations in TX and FL.

schmave
    Participant

All true, but what I mean is the difference in power up 23 has to be noticeable. 610 barrels into Delaware, Marion and further north at night with that directional pattern (I know it’s 5K, but the main lobe is the equivalent of 20K or more, so I have been told). With only 1,250 watts coming at those areas, anyone who listens to 610 has to hear a difference. I doubt it’s being heard around, say, Bowling Green or Toledo, at least nowhere near as well as usual.

Those very deep east and west nulls also protect Philadelphia and Kansas City, which I think are the two primary stations WTVN has to protect. I know there are also stations on 610 in Roanoke and Winchester, Virginia, as well as St. Catharine’s Ontario (near Buffalo) and Houston among many others. I don’t think WTVN is supposed to protect all of those stations, per se, but their nulls do direct the signal away from all of them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php