WVCB radio no more

RI Community Forums Southeast Eastern North Carolina WVCB radio no more

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Beachguy Beachguy 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Greg Goodfellow
    Greg Goodfellow
    Participant

When vacationing at Holden Beach, I try to tune in WVCB 1410 AM (with a Christian music/teaching format) in Shallotte, but it appeared dark. I later learned it went silent this past May. It was all of 500 watts, but sported an enormous white cross in its front yard. I was curious about Shallotte’s population, wondering if it could support at least one FM, let alone keep its only station operational. It has just over 3,000 souls, not counting residents of Holden. With a fairly impressive business district, I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t try for a translator. Did the owner just decide to stay with Christian programming and go down with the ship, or were there other factors at play, along with lack of business support? If anyone knows, please share. I know that these one-lung AM’s are dropping off rapidly, but it’s a shame that this city lost its only radio voice. From where I hail, and a station (and group) I part-time for, this similar population boasts a 25,000 FM station that also reaches into several much-bigger cities with its main signal and translator help. With an adequate signal, plus translators, foresight and a strong game plan, it might have succeeded. Perhaps the owner just tired of fighting insurmountable odds; if the local population wanted it, then the businesses would have supported it. I heard one local AM with show hosts touting the uniqueness of AM signals in their area. Obviously, the Shallotte area did not see WVCB as being unique.

Profile photo of Tom McNally
    Tom McNally
    Participant

Perhaps the owner just tired of fighting insurmountable odds;

A little research shows that the owner John G. Worrell who was in his 80’s, passed away about 10 years ago. His daughter (who was 60) managed the station for 32 years… then this:

Description: REASON FOR SILENCE

ON DEC. 24TH, 2014, RHONDA WORRELL, THE MANAGER AND ONLY STAFF EMPLOYEE OF WVCB, DIED SUDDENLY AFTER-HOURS IN THE STUDIO. THE RADIO STATION WAS OFF THE AIR AT THE TIME AND HAS REMAINED SILENT SINCE HER DEATH. WE ASK FOR SILENT TEMPORARY AUTHORITY WHILE JOYCE WORRELL THE OWNER SEEKS TO HIRE NEW STAFF AND DO WHAT IS NECESSARY TO GET WVCB BACK ON THE AIR IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

That was filed by Joyce Worrell, 80 some year old widow. This might be an opportunity for someone who could run it or buy it and continue the ministry

Profile photo of charles57
    Charles Everett
    Participant

Taking over a low-power AM station, in the upper part of the AM dial, in a region with poor ground conductivity, is certain to be a money-loser in the 21st century. Even for an Evangelical broadcaster in the Bible Belt.

… I was curious about Shallotte’s population, wondering if it could support at least one FM, let alone keep its only station operational. It has just over 3,000 souls, not counting residents of Holden. With a fairly impressive business district, I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t try for a translator.

Shallotte is between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, so that small town gets the higher-power FM signals from those 2 larger cities. On the left of the dial you’ll find a Praise & Worship station, a Sacred religious station, a local Christian pop station, K-Love and NPR. The commercial part of the band has every mainstream format.

I know that these one-lung AM’s are dropping off rapidly, but it’s a shame that this city lost its only radio voice

In 2015 that business model works only if you’re, say, Food Lion or AutoZone.

Profile photo of vchimpanzee
    vchimpanzee
    Participant

If the goal is community radio, WLQB is licensed to Ocean Isle Beach. Right now it is an AC station located in Myrtle Beach no one has ever heard of and … oh, good, iHeart Radio bought it. Yeah, they can give this station a real purpose. Sure they can.

Profile photo of wrsg915fm
    wrsg915fm
    Participant

Thanks for all the info, everyone! I’m sad that this family experienced two very traumatic events.

Profile photo of chiefwreynolds
    chiefwreynolds
    Participant

We’re back on the air! We do need your prayers.

Profile photo of Beachguy
    Beachguy
    Participant

We’re back on the air! We do need your prayers.

Chief- best wishes for you to be able to hang on!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register

css.php
Skip to toolbar