WVOM / WABI's George Hale Celebrates his 85th

RI Community Forums Northeast Northern New England WVOM / WABI's George Hale Celebrates his 85th

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mrradioguy mrradioguy 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of High Tides
    High Tides
    Participant

WVOM in Bangor paid a nice tribute yesterday (1/5) to its morning co-host George Hale, who observed his 85th birthday.  George is a living legend in Maine broadcasting circles, having joined WABI and WABI-TV shortly after the television station went on the air in 1953.  He eventually became WABI’s morning man, having settled in that position long before I first lived in Maine in 1972, and has continued in that post through WABI’s transition into co-ownership with WVOM, the AM station’s talk format eventually moving to the FM side.  Having done sports commentary on WABI-TV for years, he continues to do that occasionally as well, though the TV and radio stations are no longer under the same ownership.

George is certainly the senior broadcaster in Maine in terms of both age and tenure; I wonder if that may be the case nationally as well.

Profile photo of mrradioguy
    mrradioguy
    Participant

The only moving between ABI AM & WVOM was George. WVOM’s been doing talk since the mid 90s. Clear Channel 10-15 years ago shifted Hale to FM after moving ABI AM from standards (where he was the morning guy) to general talk (think Dr Laura, Dave Ramsey, etc)

WABI AM is in a sad state now, it’s simulcasting the WABK classic hits format (I think, the audio sounds horrible) and Blueberry’s had it on the market for years.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar