WXXI & HWS Cancel 30+ Year Run of "The Metallic Onslaught" on WEOS

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Western New York WXXI & HWS Cancel 30+ Year Run of "The Metallic Onslaught" on WEOS

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  aaronread 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

aaronread

Well, this is disappointing.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, after HWS moved WEOS & WHWS-LP out of the old house studios to new (and smaller) space in the Scandling Student Center, they informed The Metallic Onslaught that their show had been cancelled and replaced with five hours of the BBC World Service.

I was GM at WEOS & WHWS-LP from 2007 to 2011 (not as a student, it’s just a coincidence that I worked there FT for four years). Objectively, I can understand this move. There are a ton of access issues for Scandling outside of normal business hours, and I’m sure HWS didn’t relish the idea of a half-dozen metalheads and god knows how many roller derby guests every week from 10pm to 3am every Friday night.

And to put it mildly, it’s incongruous to have a five-hour heavy-metal music show on a primarily news/talk NPR outlet.

And yes, while WEOS didn’t have a lot of Nielsen rating info to say one way or the other, there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence that the listening audience was fairly small. And what little listener feedback I did get was near-universally negative.

But here’s the thing: what, exactly, can you put on the air from 10pm to 3am on a FRIDAY NIGHT that’s going to magically get a bigger audience than a locally-produced show, that’d been on for three decades, that had lots of local guests for interviews every week, that had secured a long-term local sponsor, and that did actually get some donations during pledge week?

Plus while the music was definitely heavy metal, the music was – at most – only half the show. The rest was this zany variety show of comedic banter, strange improv, interviews with local artists, musicians, roller derby players and wrestlers (among others), and other weirdness. Not for everyone, sure. But it was profoundly entertaining to listen to most weeks. You certainly could never accuse them of half-assing it; they gave 110% for five hours every week, 52 weeks a year.

And they did it for free. FREE!

Like I said: disappointing. Poor form, old boy. Poor form indeed. I don’t expect a decision like this could be reversed, but they are hosting an online petition, if you’re so inclined.

bobloblaw

The license holder has final say as well as ultimate responsibility for the signal and its contents. That is the bottom line.

There is nothing more “educational” than learning just how quickly you can open a microphone and stumble all over your tongue. Schools provide radio stations and allow students to learn by doing. They experience an actual radio environment to understand the various aspects and interactions of radio.

Countless kids have been introduced to radio via their high school or college station. A good percentage of them have gone on to successful careers in broadcasting as a direct result.

Student radio is also fun. It is supposed to be fun. It is a bunch of kids totally stoked on expressing themselves and having fun. There may be only ten kids listening to a program but they are probably expending more “radio enjoyment energy” than the entire audience of the other stations in the market. Fun and education go hand in hand. Student radio is truly Broadcasting’s “farm team”!

There are those in control of some school stations who see a different model. Rather than consider the success and fun of their students as ROI, these purported “educators” view student radio an encumbrance of station ROI.

Nope. LMA to NPR is ostensibly more “educational” than a bunch of college kids laughing, learning and polluting the airwaves with such “atrocious” tunes!

I have no idea how to fix this.

aaronread

Well the petition has over 300 signatures as of 10:30am on August 21st.

Not exactly setting the world on fire, which is a bummer. However, look at it this way: are there going to be 300 listeners to the BBC World Service on a Friday night? Highly doubtful. I think it kinda proved my point that incongruous as the MO is on WEOS’s schedule, it gets more listeners than anything else aired in that timeslot would get.

bobloblaw

Well the petition has over 300 signatures as of 10:30am on August 21st.

Not exactly setting the world on fire, which is a bummer. However, look at it this way: are there going to be 300 listeners to the BBC World Service on a Friday night? Highly doubtful. I think it kinda proved my point that incongruous as the MO is on WEOS’s schedule, it gets more listeners than anything else aired in that timeslot would get.

They are 1/3 toward their goal of 1000 signatures and gaining! Probably wouldn’t hurt to also post this info in the Rock, College radio and even Alt forums. May help get the word out.

Saddest part is the fact that this move only serves to further alienate younger people from radio — on either side of the microphone!

If the school is an arm of a Church, students must understand that pumping Black Sabbath’s N.I.B. into the sky may not accurately send the Word the Church is trying to convey. I suggest a convo between students and WEOS powers that be. Perhaps if they tone things down and are willing to meet the owners half way; they may at least keep student controlled programming in that current timeslot! A living dog is better than a dead lion.

Thank you for supporting Rock and Roll on the radio!

Towerclimber31
    Participant

Aaron- did the show end up finding a new home? I used to give the show a listen on my weekend visits.

aaronread

I think they moved to WVBR in Ithaca, at least in part. I know one of the guys who was often on TMO already had a metal show at WVBR as well, on Saturday nights, IIRC.

AFAIK they were (possibly still are) also getting aired on WHWS-LP but I don’t think they were broadcasting live from WEOS/WHWS-LP’s studios anymore. The new studios are TINY and in the Scandling Student Center; there’d be significant access issues after-hours for them to do a late-night show.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php