Zipping around the AM dial

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: DX & Reception

• Participant

Another night of being bored so started tuning around AM dial again in NE Ohio. Hit on what I thought was a sort of local station till I heard the station ID…KCJJ out of Iowa City, Iowa. Checking Radio-Locator.com shows they only put out 1000 watts nighttime.

Participant

My guess is they didn’t power down from their 10K daytime power. Also being on 1630 in the expanded part of the AM band there is less chatter from co-channel interference.

Participant

My guess is they didn’t power down from their 10K daytime power. Also being on 1630 in the expanded part of the AM band there is less chatter from co-channel interference.

Last time I DX’ed around the upper band I seem to recall that there may have been a station out of NYC [or another east coast state] operating on 1630 and it was oscillating between that and probably this station. I could never get a clear ID on it.

Participant

IIRC, when the expanded-band licenses were being issued, the standard power level was 10 kW/day, and 1 kW/night; going above that (for any of those frequencies) should’ve involved a special grant.

Per Wikipedia, there are only four traditional AM outlets in the U.S. on 1630–with KCJJ easily being the closest.  (The next closest is likely Augusta, Ga.’s WRDW.)  Other than those, there are a handful of Travelers’ Information stations, plus a station in Tijuana that may also be 10 kW/1 kW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1630_AM

Participant

I’m actually kinda surprised that KCJJ can still be picked up at night in Ohio. It came in good back in the early 2000s, usually running a mix of ABC’s “Hits and Favorites” AC format and “Don & Mike.”

But with practically nothing else on that frequency, KCJJ can travel far, even with 1,000 watts.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

I’m actually kinda surprised that KCJJ can still be picked up at night in Ohio. It came in good back in the early 2000s, usually running a mix of ABC’s “Hits and Favorites” AC format and “Don & Mike.” But with practically nothing else on that frequency, KCJJ can travel far, even with 1,000 watts.

Tuned in again a couple of nights later and KCJJ was fading in and out and I heard two other stations come in. They didn’t stay in tune long enough for me to get station IDs.

Participant

Some of these stations on the x band really get out. I have heard KCJJ on the Arctic SDR receiver.

Participant

In the winter KCJJ can stay in in the western part of Ohio all day in the winter

Participant

The 10 watt TIS station on 1710 in New Jersey can frequently be heard 2-300 miles away, and often much more.  A true clear channel…  It is the only licensed station on 1710 in North America.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php