TuneIn has rolled out a major update to its service adding a social layer to its streaming and on-demand platform.
Among the new features, any station a user has previously bookmarked on TuneIn has been converted into a follow. Stations can send out status updates, in this case called ‘echos’ to listeners.
TuneIn, the world’s leading service for listening to real radio, today released its redesigned platform and user interface, turning live radio on TuneIn into a real-time, relevant, and social experience. The new TuneIn features will enable its now 50 million monthly active users to discover, follow, and share the audio content they love – making TuneIn the largest audio network in the world.
TuneIn will connect millions of listeners and broadcasters from all over the globe with new features including a personalized live feed, profile pages, and the ability to share content through the echo feature. The new TuneIn will launch with hundreds of content partners, such as CNN, CBS Radio, ESPN Radio, The Wall Street Journal, NPR, Slate, The Weather Channel, Complex Media, and Lexus.
“Until now, TuneIn was a search engine for audio. With our launch today, TuneIn transforms into an audio network, the first of its kind for live content,“ said John Donham, CEO of TuneIn. “In the past few years our listeners have favorited stations over 100 million times. These favorites are the initial follower audience for our content providers, and on day one, 95 percent of our content partners will have more followers on TuneIn than they have on Facebook or Twitter.”
Bringing Radio to Life
New TuneIn features include:
· Explore: Discover and follow new stations, podcasts, genres, and categories you enjoy to build your own personal radio dial.
· Feed: See what’s happening live around the world on your personal dial with real-time updates of what’s playing on your favorite stations, shows, or content categories.
· Echo: Share what you’re listening to with friends, followers, and other social networks. Your echo will show up in the feed of anyone who follows you.
· Profile: Create your own customizable profile so that your friends can follow you and what you are following on TuneIn.
Bridging Content Creators and Listeners
With this launch, TuneIn has brought together radio, TV, media, web, and brand partners from around the world. Radio partners participating include ESPN Radio, NPR, Global Radio, talkSPORT, and nearly every top radio broadcaster in the US, like CBS Radio, Emmis, Entercom, SBS, and new partner, Radio One. TV partners, such as CNN, The Weather Channel, and Sky News are also joining the network, with audio simulcasts of their television content. New media and web partners include The Wall Street Journal, Slate, Complex Media, POPSUGAR, The Economist, The Week, Sub Pop, IGN, and The New Yorker.
“We are excited to be part of the re-launch of TuneIn’s platform and its focus on serving the community of sports fans with ESPN Audio content anytime, anywhere,” said Traug Keller, Senior Vice President, Production, Business Divisions at ESPN.
New features for content creators include:
· Content Creator Profile: A new way for broadcasters, podcasters, artists, brands, and more, to engage directly with fans and followers via their customized profile.
· Echo: Publish content to followers and other social networks.
· TuneIn Follow Button: TuneIn’s social “follow us on TuneIn” button can be added to any existing site, making it easier for creators to connect with and build their audience.
“TuneIn’s new platform will bring Entercom’s great local content even closer to listeners. We are excited about the compelling new features on the enhanced platform and how they will increase listener engagement with our market leading brands,” said Entercom President and CEO David Field.
“We are pleased to continue our partnership with TuneIn and look forward to deepening the connection we have with our listeners who access our premium content through these new interactive platforms,” said Ezra Kucharz, President, CBS Local Digital Media. “There is tremendous value in original radio programming and showcasing our leading station brands to additional online and mobile users has proven to be a growing complement to our business.”
Brands are also joining TuneIn‘s audio network. Brand launch partners include Lexus and Universal Pictures, each with profile pages, unique content, and sponsored placements.
Today, the redesigned platform and interface will be available for the iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets, and the web at TuneIn.com. Existing users can simply update their TuneIn Radio app, and new users can download the free TuneIn Radio app here.