93.9 Los Angeles

SBS & Grupo Radio Centro Settle Employee Poaching Lawsuit

Spanish Broadcasting System and Grupo Radio Centro have come to a confidential settlement over SBS’s lawsuit contending Grupo Radio Centro had been raiding the company’s executives and on-air talent for its “Radio Centro 93.9” KXOS Los Angeles. SBS filed suit in February 2016 after Martin ‘El Ratón’ Romero Hernandez jumped from mornings at their “La Raza 97.9” KLAX to middays at KLAX despite being under contract until 2020 and having just started a marketing campaign built around the talent. GRC had previously brought over morning host Ricardo ‘El Mandril’ Sánchez and SBS’ VP/Corporate Sales and West Coast Market Manager Bill Shadorf and nine other employees from SBS over a 30 month stretch. Judge Beverly Reid O’Connell ruled in May 201...[Read More]

KXOS Flips To Regional Mexican With El Mandril Addition

Update 1/19: In preperation of ‘El Mandril’ debuting on the station on Monday, “Exitos 93.9” KXOS flipped to Regional Mexican “Radio Centro 93.9“. The move gives KXOS its third format since Grupo Radio Centro took over operations of the station from Emmis in 2009. The station launched with a Spanish AC format before shifting to Spanglish CHR in November 2012. The station has struggled to find its nice in the marketplace; registering a 0.9 share in the December PPM’s. The new format places the station into a highly competitive Regional Mexican battle with SBS’ “97.9 La Raza” KLAX, which lost El Mandril to KXOS, Univision’s “La 101.9” KSCA, who also lost its highly successful morning show last year, Liberman Broadc...[Read More]

Exitos 93.9 Los Angeles Is Bilingual

Grupo Radio Centro Spanish CHR “Exitos 93.9” KXOS Los Angeles relaunched at midnight tonight as it shifted its music completely to English, while all other elements remain in Spanish. Toño Esquinca, morning host at sister “Alfa 91.3” XHFAJ Mexico City will add the same duties at KXOS. The music mix at Exitos is similar to that of Alfa, with a mix of current CHR hits from the United States and England and 90s/2000s gold. Here’s a sample hour of the new Exitos 93.9 from 3:00 this morning: Ke$ha – Die Young Katy Perry – Hot N Cold Jennifer Lopez f/ Pitbull – Dance Again Corona – Rhythm Of The Night Jay-Z f/ Alicia Keys – Empire State Of Mind The Wanted – Glad You Came David Guetta f/ Sia – Titanium Natalie Imbruglia ̵...[Read More]

Grupo Radio Central Agrees To Purchase 93.9 KXOS Los Angeles

The Mexican based Grupo Radio Centro, which has leased Spanish AC “Exitos 93.9” KXOS Los Angeles since April 2009 has agreed to exercise its option to purchase the station outright. 93.9 Holdings will pay Emmis $88.5 Million for the station. Grupo Radio Centro will hold a 25% stake in the holding company with the other 75% held by members of the Aguirre family that are United States citizens. The Aguirre’s hold a controlling stake in the Mexican company. Emmis retains Urban “Power 106” 105.9 KPWR in Los Angeles. Grupo Radio Centro operates 14 stations in Mexico, of which 12 are in Mexico City.

Exitos 93.9 Los Angeles Debuts

Update 6/15/09: Exitos 93.9 has changed its call letters to KXOS. Original Entry 4/15/09: The Net Gnomes had it right again! As we first reported on April 4, Grupo Radio Centro’s new entry into Los Angeles is indeed “Exitos 9-39”. The new station debuted at midnight PDT as a Spanish AC. The domain exitos939.com that we reported on two weeks ago is currently parked with no content, however Univision has registered 939exitos.com with information about competitor 107.5 KLVE.

Grupo Radio Centro to LMA “Movin 93.9” KMVN Los Angeles from Emmis

Update 4/4/09: When Grupo Radio Centro takes over on April 15, expect the new station to be named “Exitos 93.9” based on the registration of exitos939.com by the company. Original Report 4/3/09: Grupo Radio Centro, a Mexico based operator has announced it has agreed to LMA Rhythmic AC “Movin 93.9” KMVN Los Angeles from Emmis Broadcasting as of April 15. GRC will pay Emmis $7 Million a year with an option to purchase the station at any time over the next 7 years for $110 Million. If they cannot purchase the station due to the current law prohibiting internationally based companies from owning U.S. broadcast licenses, they may assign the option to buy to another company. Grupo Radio Centro operates 14 stations in Mexico, 11 of which are in the Mexico City market. Emmi...[Read More]