Art Bell’s return to radio has begun picking up some larger affiliates as Alpha Media’s 101.1 KXL-FM Portland announces it will pickup the show when it debuts next Monday. Other new additions to Bell’s affiliate list are Great Plains Media’s “Cities 92.9” WRPW Bloomington, IL and Bell Media’s (No Relation) 1010 CFRB Toronto.
Alpha Media Portland announced today, Art Bell will return to the airwaves on Monday July 20, 2015 on major market, FM NEWS 101 KXL with the debut of his new show, “Midnight in the Desert”. The show will run weeknights 10:00pm-1:00am.
Art Bell founded and hosted the paranormal-themed radio program Coast to Coast AM for over 20 years. He also created and formerly hosted its companion show, ‘Dreamland’. Semi-retired from Coast to Coast AM since 2003, he hosted the show many weekends for the following four years. Art announced his retirement from weekend hosting on July 1, 2007, but
occasionally served as a guest host through 2010. His new show, “Midnight in the Desert” will be available on air and online through Dark Matter Digital Network.
Alpha Media Executive VP of Programming, Scott Mahalick commented on the announcement, “We’re thrilled to be amping up our paranormal broadcast activity with the addition of Art Bell following Clyde Lewis’ Ground Zero. It’s a home run for Alpha Media to have the two biggest talents anchored on FM NEWS 101 KXL.”
Alpha Media Senior VP/Market Manager Milt McConnell stated, “Art is an American Original in terms of putting the paranormal on the radio landscape. We are so proud to extend his coverage to the Northwest where there is a rabid appetite for his unique brand of communication.”
“I think the next Nielsen radio ratings should hold quite a surprise and a great story,” added Art Bell.
Original Report 6/22: Art Bell’s return to radio with “Midnight In The Desert” next month was set to be an online-only affair, but demand has led to Bell picking up fifteen terrestrial affiliates and two shortwave stations.
Bell is requiring any station that picks up his show to adhere to very strict terms. Stations must carry Midnight In The Desert live in its entirety from 12am-3am Eastern/9pm-12am Pacific Monday through Friday. Stations may only break for two minutes at :58 and 1:58 of the show for local ads. They cannot stream the program nor offer it as a podcast as Bell will be offering it via a premium subscription. Despite these and a few other terms there have been stations to sign-up for the new show. They are:
- Albuquerque, NM: Rock of Talk Sports 1190 KXKS/107.5 K298BY
- Alva, OK: Walz Broadcasting Rock “97.5 The Rock” KPAK
- Amsterdam, NY: Cranesville Block Company Classic Hits 1490 WCSS
- Anchorage, AK: Alaska Integrated Media News/Talk 1080 KOAN/95.1 K236CG
- Bakersfield, CA: American General Media News/Talk 1180 KERN/96.1 K24CI
- Fresno, CA: Compass Radio Talk 1680 KGED
- Gretna, VA: Three Daughters Media Talk 106.3 WMNA-FM
- Jackson, MS: SSR Communications Talk 103.9 WYAB
- Johnstown, NY: Cranesville Block Company Hot AC “Z102.9” 930 WIZR/102.9 W275BS
- Lynchburg, VA: Three Daughters Media Talk 100.9 WIQO
- Monticello, ME: Allan Weiner Classic Country 780 WXME
- Needles, CA: Rubin Broadcasting Talk 1340 KTOX
- Pahrump, NV: Pahrump Radio Eclectic 95.1 KNYE
- Roanoke, VA: Three Daughters Media Talk 102.5 WBZS
- San Bernardino, CA: Broadcast Management Services Talk 1050 KCAA
- St. Johnsville, NY: Cranesville Block Company Classic Hits “Bigfoot 1120” WKAJ