May 2019 (4/25 – 5/22) Nielsen Audio PPM Ratings Day 1: WPLJ Goes Out With A Bang
Nielsen begins its monthly release of PPM ratings with today’s Day 1 update including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston/Galveston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Long Island, Riverside/San Bernardino, San Jose, and Middlesex/Somerset/Union.
All the numbers can be found at RadioInsight.com/Ratings.
Among the numbers of note for the April monthly:
- Cumulus’ 95.5 WPLJ New York went out with a bang. In its final full monthly (counting for all but its final week on air), WPLJ rose from a 2.5 share in April to a 3.1 in May. Ratings expert Chris Huff notes that this was WPLJ’s best performance in two and a half years. WPLJ also held a three month trend of 2.3 – 3.3 – 3.8 in the embedded Middlesex/Somerset/Union NJ book.
- Emmis Urban AC 107.5 WBLS New York rises from a 6.5 to 6.8 to take a stake of the market lead as it ties iHeartMedia’s “106.7 Lite-FM” WLTW, which dropped 7.0 to 6.8.
- The new powerhouse that is Salem Christian AC “104.7 The Fish” WFSH-FM Atlanta continues its newfound market dominance with a 7.0 to 7.9 share rise. Entercom Urban “V103” WVEE placed second at a 6.5 share. This is the final monthly before EMF’s “K-Love” entered the market on 106.7 WAKL.
- Warriors fever brings Entercom Sports “95.7 The Game” KGMZ-FM San Francisco up from a 1.9 to 3.3 share, which ties it with Cumulus’ 680 KNBR. Huff notes this is the first time KGMZ has tied KNBR.
- Baseball fever brings Entercom Sports 660 WFAN/101.9 WFAN-FM New York up to the top in the adjacent Long Island market with a 5.1 to 5.3 share rise. Co-owned Classic Hits 101.1 WCBS-FM drops to a second place tie with Connoisseur Media AC 97.5 WALK-FM.